Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sewing: Oliver + S Reversible Bucket Hat

This adorable baby says Happy August! (Can you believe it's August already? Summer is almost over. *tear*)

Anyway, here's one of my latest sewing projects, a reversible bucket hat made from an Oliver + S pattern. I may have written this on the blog before, but I love Oliver + S. And lucky for you, this is a FREE pattern! It's actually in the Little Things to Sew book that I own, but I liked printing it out from the PDF then simply cutting out the size I needed. Saved me from having to trace out the pattern and then having to cut THAT out.




I used two quilt-weight fabrics, but the hat felt almost like canvas once it was put together. And there's only one layer of interfacing in between the two brims. Amazing.

I started this pattern the night before I planned to give it as a gift to adorable baby N, so I did have to pull an all-nighter to finish it. (This is definitely my M.O. -- I was a master of the last-minute essay in college and grad school.) However, again I had a pretty good time constructing from the pattern. I also saved some time by following the instructions from this no-hand-stitching hack developed by Jessica of A Little Gray. The hardest part was probably deciding on which fabrics to use.

The pattern calls for sewing on a curve, which was the most difficult part for me. It requires clipping into seam allowances. If this method is new to you as well, I would suggest 1) being careful and even when clipping into the seam allowance (at least three clips per quadrant and almost all the way to the seam allowance) and 2) pinning closely together.

I think this hat is super fun and will likely make another one soon. Lots of babies and kids in my life right now!

xo, Gladys

3 comments:

  1. I really really love this tutorial. Thank you very very much
    osanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi osanda! it wasn't much of a tutorial but i'm glad you found it helpful. cheers!

      Delete
  2. Love it...really sweet and easy....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...