Saturday, November 3, 2012

Recipe: Almond Flour Blueberry Waffles

If you have a waffle maker/iron, this is for you. I changed up the basic waffle recipe that came with my Cuisinart Classic Waffle Maker and turned it almost paleo by using coconut oil, coconut milk, and honey, and substituting half of the flour for almond flour* ... and it is delicious and just as addicting as a regular waffle. I'm going by how quickly my bread-and-potatoes husband gulps these down. I've been making waffles at least once a week for the past month or so, because my son asks for them all the time. (You can cook these as pancakes as well, but it's not as easy and quick as having the waffle iron do the work for you.)


Almond Flour Blueberry Waffles
(adapted from the Cuisinart Waffle Maker instruction booklet)
Makes 8-10 waffles

Ingredients
  • 1 cup bleached almond flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted on low heat
  • 14 oz coconut milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup frozen blueberries (you can substitute fresh blueberries, other berries, chocolate chips, or anything else you'd like)

Method

Place melted coconut oil and dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Add coconut milk and eggs and mix until smooth. Lastly, stir in frozen blueberries until evenly combined. Preheat waffle maker.

Pour slightly less than 1/2 cup batter into waffle maker for each waffle, and cook to desired brownness. Use heat-proof spatula to carefully remove baked waffle, and place it on a cooling rack if you want a crisp waffle, or serve immediately. (Butter, maple syrup, more fresh fruit, the works.)

You can freeze any extras, and simply reheat them in a toaster or toaster oven. (Freezing-then-toasting is a good option if you like them nice and crispy.)

* Nota bene: I tried to make these using ALL almond flour, but it did NOT work out at all. There wasn't enough of a binder in the batter so the waffle never cooked in one piece. Instead, the waffle (the only one I tried) stuck to the NON-STICK grid of the waffle maker. :-/ I'm not sure if I should have put in less liquid or added a ripe banana or arrowroot powder ... ? Sadly I don't fully understand the chemistry of foods, and I don't often experiment with food because I hate to waste ingredients if things go wrong. But changing up the basic waffle recipe the way I did above was something I'd successfully done before. Otherwise, I'm not much fun in the kitchen. :-)

xo, Gladys

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...