Friday, August 17, 2012

Recipe: Chipotle Salsa

Here's one way to heat up your upcoming weekend. :-) Some days ago I peeled and seeded many pounds of garden tomatoes before they went bad on my counter. What to do with all those tomatoes? For starters, I made more delicious marinara sauce (recipe here) to top some chicken Parmesan. But there were a lot more tomatoes left. We love salsa and chips in this house, so I adapted The Pioneer Woman's recipe for restaurant style salsa. Since I didn't have the Ro-tel (tomatoes + chilies) that her recipe requires, I used some very spicy and delicious chipotle peppers in adobo sauce ... which then meant that I didn't dare use jalapeƱo seeds like her recipe says. Here is my version. Keep in mind that this comes out quite spicy, and a little bit sweet.


Chipotle Salsa

Ingredients
  • 45 oz peeled and seeded tomatoes with juice
  • 1 can (7 oz) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 jalapeƱos, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Juice of 1/2 lime (use whole lime if small)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro (more or less, to taste)

Method

Combine all ingredients in a large blender (at least 9-cup size; blend in batches if your blender is smaller). Pulse 10-15 times to get the consistency you like.

Refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve with salted tortilla chips, or use as a condiment for tacos, burritos, fajitas, etc., and even scrambled eggs. Enjoy!

xo, Gladys

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...