Thursday, October 20, 2011

1 of 30: Navy with Mustard on the Side

Top: via Speedy Girl (no tag); Cardi: POL via ShopKempt; Jeans: thrifted GAP; Shoes: Fluevog Guide (Prepare family) via Clementine Shoes

I like this photo in particular because I think it represents me really well, with the mischievous look in my eyes, the almost-smirk, and the somewhat-awkward pose trying to be nonchalant. Contrary to my petite stature and enjoyment of vintage kitsch, my sense of humor and personality aren't cutesy or adorable at all. In fact, I'm rather sharp around the edges. I devour political news, I consider myself a feminist and anti-racist, and I despair over the state of the world. But I do have softer sides and guilty pleasures (such as fashion and romance novels), and I think this photo captures many of those facets of me.

Anyway, on this day I had errands and an eye exam in the morning so I wanted an outfit that was just a step up from casual. I think this one did the trick. I love how the shoes make my legs look long and lean in the jeans. I got these GAP jeans at a local consignment store for $2 on one of their sale days. It's not in perfect condition -- the hidden button at the combo clasp/button closure is missing, and there's a small rip on the left thigh -- but it's totally fine for errands around town. No wardrobe malfunctions even with the missing button. :-)




Did you notice? No glasses today! The eye exam was for a contact fitting, too, so here I am wearing contacts after over two years. The world seems totally different without my glasses. And unfortunately I remember how irritated and exhausted my eyes can get with contacts. The exhaustion is due to too much information (from the new clarity of visual details) that I also get when my glasses prescription increases. Although my prescription (thankfully) didn't change from my last eye exam two years ago, I hope that my eyes will quickly adjust to contacts.

But I'm still on the lookout for a new pair of funky glasses.




This ruffled lace top is really lovely. You can change the silhouette by tying the waist-tie tightly at your natural waistline for a tucked-in look. It is see-through so I wore a skin-colored cami underneath (my favorite go-to camis are by Patagonia as they include comfortable shelf-bras -- even if shelf-bras aren't the most flattering thing in the world).

And once again, some love for my beautiful shoes.




xo, Gladys

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...