Monday, April 2, 2012

Doctor Who Fangirling

WARNING: Geeky fangirl post ahead!

Last week I found out that the sixth season of Doctor Who (2011) was finally available on Netflix. Let me tell you, I GULPED down all 13 episodes. The season came on like gangbusters and every single episode after the first built and built on the large arc of the season. I love it when the story is tight and focused like that; even the requisite stand-alone episodes revealed something important about one or more of the characters. My very favorite side character on the show, River Song, finally had her story explained throughout, and it was FANTASTIC. From the moment her character was introduced in the fourth season, I have loved her for her ability to fluster the Doctor. I don't know how viewers felt who had to watch the show week by week last year, but I was so glad that I didn't have to wait for the next episode or the next. Before I knew it, I had watched three or four episodes in a row when I had only meant to watch one while folding clothes. That was how my weekend was.

River Song - always dressed to kill

But now, because of my earlier intemperance, I have no more Doctor Who TV to watch. (Thirteen episodes per season seems like nothing compared to the American custom of 23 episodes. See Battlestar Galactica, for instance, of which I'm only midway through the third season.) I'm considering getting cable just so I can catch episodes on BBC America, but I know that, in the long run and for my family, that is just a silly waste of money.

So what to do? While on Pinterest last night, I decided to look for Doctor Who-related images. I found a bunch of awesome things, including a TARDIS cover for the Kindle Fire that led me to a TARDIS cover for the iPhone 4 which I may or may not have purchased on impulse....

T.A.R.D.I.S.But in particular I felt inspired by the fabric -- yes, Doctor Who fabric! There is a bunch of designs on an indie-designer site called Spoonflower, and despite the expensiveness I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get some. Because they're specialty, the fabrics seem to be high-quality cotton. They even have cotton knit, which means I can make myself a t-shirt at some point.

Oh man, along with my Fluevog addiction, I really don't need another. But good fabric is going to be another one, I think.

xo, Gladys

2 comments:

  1. simply put river song, david tennant, and craig ferguson. (there is more, but these are a few of my faves!)

    puffy heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg! squee! the david tennant vids/pics weren't new to me, but i loved the craig ferguson skit! pee in my pants fun, lol! i'll have to scour youtube for the interviews with matt smith and alex kingston!

      let me just say, i was a HUGE fan of david tennant as the doctor and was really sad when he left (i was sad about chriss eccleston too, actually), but matt smith has TOTALLY won me over. i love the awkwardly-romantic vibe he and alex kingston have with each other -- it's PERFECT for the show (their wedding kiss was so awesome, and i'm sad her storyline is about done). matt smith is so nerdy that he's sexy only in a sublimated way, whereas david tennant was so overtly sexy that it wouldn't have worked the same way with him. when matt went completely BOSS in the season finale, during the wedding, i think my heart stopped. sooooo fantastic.

      Delete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...